Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What the hell did we do before we had kids?

That was what I recall asking my husband after we had monkeyboy. I was reminiscing while having dinner with my nephew and his wife. Is appropriate to say niece? Well as young couples they talked about wanting to have time for themselves and as I recall this is what I wanted when I was in their shoes but I distinctly recall asking "What the hell did we used to do before we had monkeyboy?" to my husband sometime after having monkeyboy.

It seems to me and husband agreed, that whatever it was that we did, it was a complete waste of time. I don't feel like my life really started until after we had kids. We were a couple but we weren't a family until we had the newborn. There are so many things you just never do when you live for yourself. I guess I really didn't know happiness until I held this furry little guy in my arms (he was called monkeyboy back then because he was a hairy little creature)

Before we had kids:
- We chased happiness. I don't know that we ever found it. We had lots of stuff and took nice vacations though.
- We had quiet dinners. I don't really remember any of them. I do however remember every dinner date night I've had with my kids. We do date night once a week. We do something special with just me and each of them. Peach and I have gotten Chinese take out twice. Monkeyboy and I went to the pub. Those dinner dates are precious and I treasure them.
- We went on vacations. London, Dublin, Quebec, Cozumel, Seattle, Florida, Texas, the Boundary Waters, New York, North Dakota. I had fun at each time but never like it is when we've taken the kids. 
- We'd bath together and don't get me wrong as fun as that was and is, it just doesn't come close to the joy of bathing a child. The kids loved bubble baths. They love bubbles like they are this magical source of entertainment. They laugh. They smile and it's infectious. They say the camera adds 10 pounds, well taking a baby a bath takes off ten years. Then there's the scent of freshly bathed baby. There is nothing like it in the world. It's like opening a can of hope and it refreshes the entire world.

Kids just teach you how to play. How to really play. As adults we think we know how to play. We haven't a clue.

Everyday since having had kids, it's like happiness walked in the door and sat on my lap and begged for my attention. Happiness though walked in preceded by sacrifice. Sometimes that's all we see isn't it? We see the sacrifice and say "No, not for me. That's asking a little too much." I think if we'd see the happiness right behind that honking wall of sacrifice we'd say, 'Yeah so what."

No comments:

Post a Comment