Saturday, April 7, 2012

Totally Triduum

I can't recall when I have had a more comical Triduum. I think this might be a first:

HOLY THURSDAY:
Our little neighbor girl joined us for The mass of the Lord's Supper. She's Lutheran and Peachy's very good friend. Sometimes she joins us for prayer. Well we arrived early because I was suppose to serve but with the plethora of ordinary ministers, there was no need for extra-ordinary ones so I got to sit with the family. Peach turns to me and asks, "Mom is it ok if E-beth and I play Rock, Paper, Scissors before mass". The pious mom in me didn't quite see the holiness in it so I must have been giving the disapproving mom look. So she folds her hands together and does a quiet prayer and then says " Jesus says he doesn't mind. He said he welcomes the diversion."

GOOD FRIDAY:
Incedent #1
Basket Mayhem! We pass baskets 2 rows at a time. So baskets start out on Row 1 and 3 and should come back on rows 2 and 4. This repeats until all the rows are visited. Simple, yes? Apparently not. Somewhere along the way someone must have gotten confused or mixed things up because both baskets were coming back on row 4.

Incedent #2
We were processing up to venerate the cross and the procession was lagggggging. So as Peach and I neared the cross, I started prodding her to go ahead and go up to the cross. I was prodding her with the missellette and she turns around gesticulating like crazy. Her arms were flailing pointing but I couldn't hear her say anything. She just kept pointing, then she said "You're standing on my shoelace!" - Oops! I kissed the cross amid giggles and laughter. I think that was a first. How's that for a dose of humility.

Incedent #3
Dueling choirs! During the veneration of the cross the choir was singing "Behold the wood of the cross". Well on verse 2, 2 of the choir members were singing2 different verses. Not until about midway through did one of them give up and join the others. Then on verse 3, the very same thing happened. I have no idea if it was the same 2 choir people but it was confusing. Then as if that wasn't enough on verse 4, 3 different verses were being sung and NO ONE wanted to give up and join someone else. I nearly bust out laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment