Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Monkeyboy's congenital condition: Mamitis

My son has a condition known as 'mamitis'.

When I was growing up mamitis usually referred to (a child) who was overly attached to his mother. Hmm, hmm my oldest brother had mamitis. My son has mamitis. I guess in english you'd say mama's boy - a boy who is excessively attached to his mother.

Is he excessively attached? Probably. 
When I work from home he hugs and kisses on me about every time he comes in my presence. Maybe he misses me when I am legitimately gone and he makes up for it by smooching but I'm getting the impression that he is overly attached to mama.

He complains when I am gone that I'm gone too much.
Ok, I do work long hours and volunteer quite a bit, at work, at church and I like my down time so I can take that complaint and try to do something about it. I can arrange to be home so I can be present more, but then I wonder if the problem isn't that I'm gone too much but that he doesn't spend a lot of time with friends. At some point the boy has to have friends and some that are not his mother.

It doesn't help that he thinks all his gymnast pals are twerps - which they are or maybe they are just normal twerpy 12 year olds. Granted he has a higher expectation from peers than they have for him so he ends up a bit disappointed and limited in his friend options. So what am I left to do about it?

As tough as it is for me, I think the best thing I can do is not try to be his best friend but to be his mother and help him find peers that he can interact with on a more regular basis than he does at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment