Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nun Run!

I always thought a nun run was what you did when you saw a nun. I have always had a particular aversion to nuns, not because I had a mean nun as a teacher but because of the wacky ones that I seem to run across. The doctrinal assessment conducted by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has brought to light the wackiness. In fact Bishop Blair who recently conducted the assessment of the women religious commented about the assessment:  What the CDF is concerned about, as I indicated, is the particular organization known as the LCWR. Its function, responsibilities and statutes were all originally approved by the Holy See, to which it remains accountable....What are the Church’s pastors to make of the fact that the LCWR constantly provides a one-sided platform — without challenge or any opposing view — to speakers who take a negative and critical position vis-a-vis Church doctrine and discipline and the Church’s teaching office?"

What kind of doctrinal positions do they take? These are the nuns who have "moved beyond Jesus and moved beyond the church" - what?? If Jesus is the mark and the standard, anything beyond is by definition off the mark and well off course. These ladies tend to get their panties in a wad about feminism. I don't think they have a clue what feminism is. It is not masculinity. It is not license to do what you want with your body. It is not rebellion.

It wasn't until I ran into some seriously dedicated and obedient nuns that I stood in awe of what a woman actually is. They were strong, happy, joyful and unmistakably feminine. They radiated what it is to be woman. They weren't weak. It's tough to be obedient. It's tough to be meek. Have you ever tried it? Some people think that obedience means you don't disagree and that you just follow without question and blindly. Untrue.

Obedience is stating your objections and reservations openly and honestly and then acting in accordance to what obedience demands. This at times takes heroic virtue and will. It's tough!

"Wives, be obedient to your husbands" - that line prickles doesn't it? It does if you don't understand what obedience is. I have to be obedient to husband. Does that mean I defer to him at all times? Does it mean that I have no mind of my own? Does it mean that I agree with all that he says or does? Does it mean that because I am the wage-earner and he is not that I'm the decision maker or that my place is higher than his? My place is next to him but he sees fit to elevate me. Humble yourselves and you shall be exalted.

I was at an ordination last month and one of the most amazing things was when the ordinati took his vow of obedience to the Bishop and his successor. I wondered about the ladies outside who were protesting the male only priesthood and I thought to myself, "Would any of the women ordination lot be able to take a vow of obedience?" The thing is they honestly think they are doing the right thing, standing outside of the cathedral protesting the ordination as the ordinati process into the cathedral on the most special day of their lives. Would any of them protest a wedding? A funeral? A hospital during the annointing of the sick? Second graders as they first take their Sacrament of the Eucharist? Baptisms? Why take the most special day for these ordinati and think that it's ok for them to try to ruin it by objecting to it? Did they ever once consider the individual or just themselves?

Honestly, I pray for these people and am very sad for them because they just don't get it. I hope they move beyond themselves and toward Jesus because he's the answer. He is always the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment