Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hello Jesus


We held Eucharistic adoration for one of our groups who sacrifice their time and energy to minister to others.

I helped arrange this prayer time. I had no idea who would show up to this prayer session. I sent the invitations, I prayed and then I just let it go and hoped people would come and pray. Come and pray they did. What was most surprising to me was that the men of the group showed up. None of the ladies showed, except me but as I was organizing I don't suppose I count. I was perfectly ok being the lone lady as I relate better to guys than dolls anyway. It was amazing.

It was communion of heart and mind. Knowing that we minister to others perhaps not seeing the fruits of our labors for years or not at all takes a great deal of faith and commitment. Opening ourselves to being ministered to as part of our ministry takes humility but it is necessary. Ministry is not what you do. It's what you allow to happen. It happens in communion, not in isolation. This is a key difference between Christian service and community service. Community service is an activity that is done, a service. Christians exist to serve and to be served. Catholicism is a "both and" mentality and so many people don't get that. Jesus is both son and God. It's very easy to serve, to minister to others, but to be humble and allow someone to minister to you, to acknowledge that there is something incomplete, or in need of healing in ourselves takes humility and a certain amount of vulnerability.

As I informed the priest afterward, "You sucked, but Jesus was totally awesome!", it occurred to me that the whole humility thing... yeah well I need some work on that

No comments:

Post a Comment