Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Year of Faith: Is there a God or isn't there?

Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen (Heb11:1).

We will celebrate the Year of Faith starting in October 2012 and I was thinking just yesterday, let me assume for a moment, that the Christopher Hitchens' of the world are correct, there is no God, there is no hell, there is nothing and God is a myth.

If there is no God, then my time at prayer is pointless (as filling, peaceful and consoling as it may be at times) and has no purpose. If that's the case then I lose nothing, because there is nothing to lose except time and let's be honest we waste loads of time on a plethora of worthless pursuits. I gain nothing, because there is nothing to gain (other than the feel good's or insights that I may occasionally derive from my wasted time).

If on the other hand, the Hitchen's of the world are indeed wrong, then not only do I win, but I win big. My faith is justified. I've tried to live my life oriented toward the perfect good, a compass so to speak. My compass is God. God's goodness sets a standard defining good and evil giving me an opportunity to orient myself. I can also choose not to orient myself, my choice but that compass doesn't move.

I think sometimes the Hitchens' of the world assume Christians never once pondered that thought. I ponder it quite often. The year of faith will however give us another opportunity for unity, especially among my atheist brothers and sisters. Perhaps we share the same compass and just call them by different names.

No comments:

Post a Comment