Thursday, May 3, 2012

Our Lady of the Perpetual Shakedown, shakes down

I promised didn't I?

As I recall I said the following: "I consider 2% 'is a lot' but when I also examine the 10% to God that number looks excessively excessive. How many of us actually give 10%? Looking at the stats I'd say not that many of us even give a measly 2%. It hurts to give that much when bills, taxes, debt,  cost of living and children to care for are staring you in the face. It hurts even more when we are attached to it."

My purpose in that statement sounds like I'm talking about a shakedown where you cough up the cash and indeed that is one form of giving but I was generic in my comments because stewardship in $$ is only one small part. The significant part of stewardship is our mindset. Do I consider what I have as mine or as belonging to someone else? When I borrow something I make darn sure to take good care of it - so I can borrow again, so they will be comfortable loaning other stuff, and in general because it's not mine! What about money that I entrust to my financial broker? I count on his recommendations, his insight to my funds so my goals are fulfilled.

I wonder if you have children, do you take that attitude? That they have been entrusted to you to fulfill the goals for which they were sent here to accomplish?

I must confess something - I never wanted children, or a husband, but I'm quite pleased to have both. Similarly I don't want grandchildren. I might get them and then again I might not but longing for grandchildren is not me. Ok, so the Peach comes up to me completely distraught. She believes God is calling her to a vocation but she is terrified (and ten) of what that means for her because she believes he is not calling her into a marital vocation.  She desperately wants to be a mother. She wants to have children. She'd be a great mother in my opinion so I instructed her, as is my job, that
- the decision does not need to be made now
- God will keep calling
- she should keep listening
- she doesn't need to be afraid

Then I noticed
- she loves all things girly
- she loves to sew
- people relate to her and she is a joy to be around
- people are drawn to her
- she loves kids
- other girls naturally gravitate towards her
AND
- she really would be a great nun

No comments:

Post a Comment