Wednesday, January 25, 2012

You only need one!

Herm Edwards was asked this morning about his pep talk to the NFL Rookies, so I paraphrase: 'You only need one. Once car. One wife or girlfriend. Guys if your married and you travel from San Francisco to Boston, you've still got a wife so don't get a girlfriend.'

Aside from the humor that football players need to be reminded that when they travel, the reality continuum still exists and so do their obligations and commitments, sometimes we all need a coach to help us out at times and remind us that things haven't changed regardless where you happen to find yourself.

I need to be reminded that my moral compass always needs to be pointing in the right direction. Where do I look to find where that moral compass needs to point? I look to the standard bearer, Jesus, to God the giver of all good things who asks  us to be holy as He is, to His church and the teachings of the church. If it was up to me, my moral compass would veer off into selfish directions and sometimes I go in those directions. However, I always know in which direction I need to go. Jesus and his gift of the church never cease to stop calling me towards holiness, towards greatness, towards humility, towards self-less self-sacrifice. I only need one, one God, but God is so generous that even when we only need one He gives us 3: God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. He will NOT be outdone in generosity!

No comments:

Post a Comment