Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sins of omission by the ordering clinician

I'm a doctor, not an MD Dr. but a PhD Dr. who trains and works with clinicians and radiologists. So I was highly amused with this article I read on Diagnostic Imaging.
In my experience I tend to get a whole lot more respect from Dr.'s then I do the general public. In general the public can downplays a PhD as tantamount to nothing more than just a whole mess of studying and bookwork. "That's nice dear, but you don't really know anything." or "Wow, you're really smart" or "Oh, you're not a real doctor". -Thank you. Thank you very much!

Those statements reflect the thought that I can't relate to anyone or anything else whose not scholarly. The message conveyed is 'You know too much and it's all useless stuff' (ok sometimes that's absolutely true).

Colleagues who have PhD's tend to relate to each others much like the Dr's in the article, which is just hilarious! However, physicians speak to me as an admired and respected colleague which honestly is just humbling and blows me away each and every time it happens. Maybe it's because I'm one of the ones that provides them the tools and techniques that allows them to accomplish their job.

Just like those who have been gifted with wealth, some people are gifted with knowledge and learning. The knowledge and gifts I was given are not my own. They are for you. I am to give of my gifts back to humanity. When I give of myself completely, using my knowledge, skills and talents, is when I find I'm the most fulfilled and content, regardless how I'm treated, respected or addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment