Friday, August 19, 2011

Positive parenting tip

Recall my blatherings about my uncleanly hurricane household? Well if not, it's a mess! It seems 4 people make a way bigger mess than 1 person. Go figure. 

I discovered that yet again my bathroom had no towels and the towels that were there were drenched lying at the bottom of the tub or dirty, really!?!? The kitchen's a disaster now that it's actually getting used. So instead of losing my temper and getting frustrated, the brilliant mama and pseudo-physicist (hmm, hmm...me) came up with a grand idea. I made two lists of house-elf duties, one for Dobby and another for Winky. It seems Dobby and Winky were overjoyed at being able to cross off things from their lists so they got to scrubbing bathrooms and toilets, washing/drying/folding clothes and cleaning my kitchen. I've even offered to pay them. It's them or the housekeeper.
So the kids tell me, "Mom, you're going to be SO broke, 'cause we're going to clean everyday!" to which I responded "That's awesome baby. I'll be so happy!". Peach extremely confused muttered,"Really? You'll be happy to be broke?"

Oh, sweety. If my children are concerned about keeping their surroundings clean so I don't have to (which means I don't have to pick up after myself because they will), that is money well spent!  Honestly, in the end it's all about me! So as virtuous and altruistic as my whole story may appear, in reality I'm not... but I didn't lose my temper. 

2 comments:

  1. I can relate to the situation. I also have problems with a topsy-turvy home. It give me a headache sometimes. But what I did is that I tell my kids to help mom get things done like making their beds, putting their toys in the proper place, and helping me with the dishes. I think it's all about designating with small tasks that they can do themselves. Hope this help.

    Online toy shops

    ReplyDelete