Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Can I abstain from fasting?

It used to be I was actually quite a champ at fasting. It was the glue to my prayers and boy did I ever use loads of glue. Lately though I've been a little low in the glue department.
Now, I knew I'd have to stock up on glue again since I've had a few special prayer intentions lately, and because of Lent but seriously, I've been putting said glue buying spending spree on hold until today.

See, I've always needed motivation for fasting. I used to have motivational prayers, images and other activities to occupy myself when I fasted. I would direct my attention to spiritual matters. I used fasting as a way to get my bodily senses in order and if my bodily senses kept trying to get me to sin, I would say 'Keep it up and we'll fast again tomorrow and you know I mean it!'. Lately however and for whatever reasons, I haven't been able to get myself excited about fasting. Who does? Well I now have the motivation. The extra 10 pounds I've put on saw to that especially when I ended up seeing the images of me from the whole body scanning I just had today. Let me tell you, that is motivation enough! I think I'll go collect one of those images and keep it near me for when I start to slip. When not if.

No comments:

Post a Comment