Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet sleep, Jesus.... blessed sweet sleep

I've commented to my spiritual directors that I'm acutely aware that all the gifts God has given me, He can take them away at any moment. My next statement is usually something like: I sure hope He doesn't, but that I knew He could and would at any moment it pleased Him. 

I was reminded again of that this morning as I awoke after my adoration hour. I think I've posted before about sweet sleep after visiting with Jesus, but I'm gonna do it again because it finely demonstrates the glory of God.

I have an early morning adoration hour, 5 am. Not too early for some of you but seeing as how we were dog sitting last night, a 5 am adoration hour means I have to get up no later than 4 and (that's pushing it) to make the 1/2 hr drive to see Jesus. At 2:00, 2:38, 3, 3:38 and 3:42 I realized it wasn't 4 am, but it was at 3:42 when I fell asleep. So at 4 am, did I want to get up out of bed? Absolutely. Husband always offers to take my hour but I don't allow him that guilty pleasure. It's my time with our Blessed Lord. I'm not saying Jesus speaks to me, because often time he doesn't, sometimes I babble in prayer, sometimes I listen and sometimes we just spend the time together in silence. Jesus usually blesses me with not just sleep but blessed sweet sleep after my adoration hour. It's something I enjoy but not something I look forward to or expect at the end of my hour. I don't ever want to take His gifts for granted.

The sleep that follows intimate union with husband is nice and had I never experienced the blessed bliss of sleep after time with Jesus, I might even be tempted to call sleep after sex, sweet sleep but the sleep I get with husband cannot even come near to the bliss of sleep following time with Jesus. It just can't even hold a candle to it. Just like union with my husband can't even hold a candle to union with God. It's an impossibility. So after awaking this morning from the blessed bliss of sleep with Jesus I can only say to Jesus, "I love you" and "thank you". Which for me, honestly are one in the same thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment