Monday, September 19, 2011

No, that was not your country calling!

I used to leave my phone on at night for work emergencies, when it was required of my job otherwise I'd turn it off. These days I tend to leave my phone on at night for family calls, prayer emergencies for friends and emergencies in general. Occasionally the holy bat phone will ring but not often.

Last night the bat phone rang, and I must have awoken to answer it. This morning husband turned to me as I was quietly praying my morning rosary in bed and tried to prod me out of bed with "Time to get up. Your country doesn't need you on the Olympic sleep team". To which I retorted, " Yes, they do. They called last night!" Then the whole episode came back to me as he asked me "Who was that last night?"

I had no idea. I couldn't understand a word in my sleep daze but I seemed to recall they were mumbling and incoherent. Perhaps I was mumbling and incoherent. However, I thought I recalled asking, "Pardon? What did you say? May I help you? What can I do for you? Excuse me?" I couldn't be sure I said any of these until husband asked, "Who were you so polite to last night?"

So I told him the truth. "I TOLD you. My country called last night. They need me to stay in bed for a while this morning."

No comments:

Post a Comment