Thursday, September 15, 2011

Desolation = Blah, blah, blah


This has been one of the more challenging desolatory periods in my life. Usually desolation kicks into high gear and then lingers like some no-name leftover casserole that no one wants to touch or throw out. This time desolation wandered in, uninvited mind you, and kicked around for a while. I was starting to think it had wandered off and gotten abducted but alas not to be. It was just biding it's time before settling in for the long haul and then kicking into high gear. Desolation is a darkness of the soul. It can be likened to a depression, but it's not. It can be a loss of faith, hope, love, an absence of God, and it can also be complete apathy and a sadness of the soul. It's blah blah blah, kind of like my blog...hee,hee,hee!

There are strategies for dealing with desolation and every time I go through it I guess I add something else to my list or some sordid detail that's somehow suppose to help me for next time. I'm not really sure that it does. Some strategies for dealing with desolation:
1) When in desolation stay the blah blah blah
2) In desolation, remember God is blah blah blank-blank blankety blah (I'm gonna need confession for that one!)
3) The most important thing in desolation is blah blah blah
4) In desolation think blah blah blah
5) Starve desolation with increased blah blah blah
6) Know the blah blah blah
7) Consider the reasons for your blah blah blah

Well I suppose that's not exactly the correct list, but re-reading the list (at least to my soul) always feels like reading the list above. No amount of personal contact or words of encouragement ever seem to make a slight difference to the disposition of my soul. In fact sometimes it actually makes it worse. Go figure. The proper list or better stated, mine is:

1) When in desolation stay the course.
2) In desolation, remember God is present. 
3) The most important thing in desolation is patience.
4) In desolation think long term.
5) Starve desolation with increased prayer, sacramental life and ministry.
6) Know the enemy
7) Consider the reasons for your desolation. (It's either your fault because of laziness. It's a gift to help you grow or it's likely intended for re-orientation. By the way, knowing the reason for your desolation doesn't make it any easier. It's like labor pains. You just have to endure it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment