Monday, July 11, 2011

Do you love me?

I was pondering this question the post resurrection Jesus asks of Peter. Peter had denied Jesus 3 times. Sin always damages, even if done in private. It cries out for acceptance for forgiveness and for healing, just as when my daughter damages my favorite blouse. She cries out for forgiveness and I forgive her, but the damage blouse remains. Jesus offered Peter the chance to make up for his previous denials, to get healed in a very real way. So Peter exasperated responds, "Lord, you know that I love you.". 

I think Peter was exasperated not with Jesus, but with himself. Jesus had taught him that in order to truly find yourself, your life, you had to lose it for his sake. It cost Jesus his very life to redeem us. It will cost us nothing less. Peter learned that lesson. We have to be willing to lay it all down, just like Peter did. He knew his thrice profession of love had a healing effect. How do we know? Because this Peter was willing to lay it all down. We see a changed Peter from this point onwards, jail time, beatings, humiliation, this would be the path he would walk.

These moments of grace will find us too. Jesus will give us the opportunity to choose the better part. I pray we allow that to happen because healing, joy and peace will follow in it's wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment