Thursday, February 9, 2012

The innocence of a child

In my retreat I've been stuck on my meditation of the testing of Abraham. I haven't really been able to get past it. It's been quite consuming. 

What joy Isaac must have had. Here he was finally going on a field trip to worship God with his dad. He was doing the grown up thing. He was a special and invited guest. How happy he must have been to have some intimate time on a journey with his dad, carrying things for him, eating, sleeping, conversing, sharing time together, and seeing new places probably for the first time. He must have been elated. Abraham, probably not so much.
Isaac doesn't fight his father when it comes down to - he's the sacrificial offering. No. He allows himself to be tied up, trusting his dad. If he's old enough to go on a long journey and carry the wood up the mountain, then he's old enough and strong enough to oppose his elderly father. He doesn't long to be injured, hurt or die but he innocently trusts his father. How do we know that, well scripture goes on to tell us he was quite a mama's boy and his own son goes on to dupe him to secure his blessing. The thing about mama's boys' is that they are no wimps. They can actually be quite masculine, tender, thoughtful  and yet so completely clueless. (Monkeyboy is the quintessential mama's boy.) The point is Isaac allows himself to be duped. He allows himself to be put in the position that he might get hurt; he allows himself to be vulnerable because that is what it means to be a child. A child by their very nature is vulnerable, innocent, trusting until they respond from their woundedness. The most striking thing to me is that Isaac goes on to live a vulnerable, innocent, trusting life even after he was almost mortally wounded.
How often do I allow those wounds in my life to dictate how I will react instead of allowing myself to be vulnerable, innocent, trusting even if it means allowing myself to be wounded anew?

My other thought about this passage is joy. How joyfully Isaac carried the wood for the sacrificial offering! How joyfully Jesus must have carried the wood of the cross. Sometimes we don't allow ourselves to consider that our Lord as brutally mistreated as he was, carried the wood of the cross with unmistakable joy. It's enough to keep me in meditation for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment