Monday, February 6, 2012

The demise of leisure and the leisure suit!

A recent German study concludes that social media is more addictive than alcohol or tobacco.

I was talking to a priest friend of mine last night. We always have such animated discussions, and we were discussing how we as a people, have lost the art of leisure time. We've lost the leisure suit!

Which ok, let's be honest, is a good thing! We are busy, busier than ever and we've lost the art of how to leisure properly. It's all built in nowadays. I build in down-time during my on-time and I say that I'm more efficient, but am I really?

On the one hand is it all that bad? I mean if I'm checking my email for tasks or expecting a post that lifts my spirits or makes me laugh. Is it all that bad? If it's distracting me from my purpose then perhaps I need to rethink my social media habits.

I generally plug into technology and medical social spheres to keep up on the latest trends and catch the news. I'll read some religious blogs and news, especially the ones that make me laugh or that challenge me, 'cause Lord knows I need to keep my spiritual skills and knowledge as honed as my professional skills, but when do I build in dedicated time for leisure? When do I say, "ok, now I'm done with this part of my life or day. Time to recharge and refresh?' When do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment