Thursday, October 7, 2010

Don't you care?

Well? Don't you? This is the question posed to Jesus by Martha today when she's overburdened with work and there's no one to help her. Why, I wonder do I also assume that Jesus just doesn't care when he sits back and waits while I turn irreverent, selfish, conceited, and yes I very much am all the things I just mentioned. Although, I could have just as easily said 'the world turns irreverent...', but why travel so far when the problem is really much closer than that. Does he not care?

He cares only too much. So much does he love us that he will not force his will upon us, because a gift that's required is no gift at all. He wants us to love him, to love our neighbor as ourselves, but he will not make us do so.

So what’s my response? To be present, truly present, when I’m listening to someone drone on, when I’m with the kids, when I’m distracted with problems and in all the moments of today, if I could just be present to whoever and whatever needs my attention, I just might be able to become a better person and in so doing, give him the gift he so desperately desires of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment