Monday, February 25, 2013

The interminable call to Holiness

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep"

Robert Frost

Husband reminded me this morning of the virtue of perseverance. Yes, in this second week of Lent I'm ready to call it quits. I am such an Easter person.
Once you've made a commitment in the fullness of free will and with a well formed conscience, you stick to it. Yes, enticements will come along, like the woods of our poem but those don't matter.

Remaining true to the commitments I made also means I will have "miles to go before I sleep".

I had a discussion this morning about marriage and vocations. Regardless what your vocation is, you will always be tested. There will come a time when it's not so fun anymore, when it's a chore, when you don't want to fulfill some of the vows you made. Keep your word, come what may. Persevere my brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment