Friday, February 8, 2013

911, What's your Emergency?

When traveling I like to rent cars with XM Radio so that I can tune into ESPN radio and I also enjoy the Catholic Channel. This morning the Catholic Channel had their "Let's hope they're not Catholic" segment on today. As a whole Catholics aren't immune to doing stupid things as some of our bishops, priests and let's not forget the dumb anctics of the "Nuns on the bus". In fact just because we're Catholic doesn't mean we're holier, funnier or smarter than anyone else. It does mean we are a joyful people. Authentic Catholics aren't sullen. We are joyful. We endure pain and suffering like everyone else but we don't suffer alone and therein lies the joy.
This joyful morning they played some 911 calls and I nearly doubled over laughing while driving the boroughs of Chicago.

911 operator: "What's your emergency?"

caller: "Um, my wife got attacked by a warthog and we need help. She needs a doctor."
(I want to know, how does one get attacked by a warthog?)
911 operator: "What's your location?"

caller: "18 Eucalyptus"

911 operator: "Can you spell that?"

caller:" (silent pause) Um, I'll drag her over to Oak Street and you can pick her up there"

Oh dear. Really? Let's drag her over to a street you can spell.

No comments:

Post a Comment