Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fight, fight, fight, fight

How's that for a spiritual topic - FIGHT and don't stop fighting. So were the consoling words one of my priest friends gave me for this dark part of journey. 
If you've never experienced it, it's an emptiness, a lonliness in the midst of activity, it's dull and dreary on a sunny day. It's like learning to swim for the first time.

The first time I swam, my dad pretty much threw me in and I think to this day I don't tend to get stomach bugs because I pretty much inhaled any and all bacteria possible when I was trying to learn how to swim. I could see nothing during my drowning fits but all I heard was "Cierra la boca! Cierra la boca!" ="Close your mouth!". Not once did he reach out to pick me up and rescue me. Not once. He just kept up his rythmic chant as if that had some enchanting effect. My swim lessons were brutal, and I hated it mostly because I knew I was going to sink (ok, well not that much because I've always been extra bouyant or is that extra fluffy?) However that's exactly what this part of the journey is like. It's like God's letting me swim on my own. Every once in a while I get a glimpse, hoping he'll reach out and lift me up but every once in a while he'll float me a message of encouragement - fight it.
Fight the apathy. Don't give into it. Go for a walk, spend some quiet time in prayer, lift up your mind, heart, body in activity or in prayer. Change your pace but most importantly fight it.

No comments:

Post a Comment