Monday, November 7, 2011

Cold chicken

This whole mom thing is a funny business. I never thought that I'd be so happy to be eating cold chicken. My brother used to love eating cold leftover chicken from the fridge. Cold pizza, yes. Chicken? Not so much.

I have been super cranky lately. I've been volunteering quite a bit and maybe a bit more than usual. I've been anxious about my job and changes coming, keeping my projects moving forward so much so that even when I've been there as mom, I haven't been present to the kids because I'm doing something else for someone else. They weren't bad things. They were all good things but not 'mom' things. I let something else take the place of my primary vocation and it made me cranky.

When I realized that all these things I was doing for others was draining the life energy from me and making me a worse mom I said, "I'm done. I can't do this." So I went back to being mom. I played with the kids, talked about what was going on in their world, watched their favorite TV shows with them, and I served them dinner. I was running around getting their hot chocolate made during dinner that my dinner sat. By the time I did get to it, I ended up eating whatever was left and it was blessedly cold. I sat down with a smile on my face and life welling up within me. Why? Because I was doing what God intended.
I hope you have a cold chicken moment today, and I hope I continue to have and treasure them!

May God bless all our cold chicken moments in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment