Friday, October 7, 2011

Emotional Intelligence

"is the ability to perceive emotion, integrate emotion to facilitate thought, understand emotions and regulate emotions to promote personal growth."

Emotional expressiveness is key to successful communication, so says an article on the behaviors of  Top CEOs. The higher one's emotional intelligence, the better one is able to cope with negative circumstances and help maintain team dynamics.

I may be finally starting to understand me. This is a key gift I've been given but have never quite understood. I can be an emotionally expressive person but I do not emote everywhere. In fact, I'd say I'm selectively emotionally expressive. I choose moments in which to act even when angry or upset. It's not always prudent to show anger and irritation in public. Sometimes it's just ghetto, so exercise patience when it's necessary to hash things out. When that time rolls around though, I'm all sorts of emotionally expressive. Although, that being said, my emotions can be raw but my language and respect for the other remains intact. I may not like the other in the midst of an argument but I will love them.

Anger notwithstanding, I tend to generate harmony and balance in relationships. It's not easy. It takes persistent effort and heroic patience. None of this I have in abundance so I find that when I'm done with my work life, I need to back off so I can recharge. Now I'll admit, the emotionally expressive person can be a lot of fun. However, I have very little respect or patience for an emotionally expressive person who is disingenuous. The study goes on to confirm that people pick up on a lack of sincerity and you'll lose credibility. So for pity's sake don't be a loser, be genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment