Wednesday, November 7, 2012

In your will is my peace

Your will. Not mine. My will makes me angry when things don't turn out the way I want them.
I tried to go to mass this morning. I'm traveling, out of the country again and found a beautiful cathedral with 7am mass. After finding the place and parking I made my way to the chapel. The doors were locked.
I walked around the cathedral thinking perhaps I had the wrong door. After I walked around the entire blocks surrounding the cathedral (it was a large cathedral) I ended up back where I started and knocked on the parish office doors. Apparently the doors I tried were the right ones and he told me to try again but by this point it was 7:15 and mass was well underway.

I tried again, locked again and I just walked away. I was pretty hot when I left. Here I am trying my best to make it to mass. Why? Honestly, because I need Jesus every day and when I don't have an opportunity to see him, to have him: body, blood, soul and divinity into my person then it's just a pitiful day. He orients me in the right direction every single time. So I was more than disappointed that I had to walk away without the eucharist.

Then I thought, "in your will is my peace". Sometimes things don't turn out the way we plan or the way we would like. The morning prayer was from Job:

"Naked I came forth from my mother's womb,
and naked I shall go back again.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
blessed be the name of the Lord!
We accept good things from God;
and should we not accept evil?"

That is today's prayer. You can't make this up folks! Today when the election results showed that the headlines are that Abortion, Gay Marriage and Marijuana won in the election,  (I'm out of the country and this is what made the headlines! And people here are rejoicing.) this was the morning prayer. I smiled. Our God is good. All the time.

Yes, we do accept good things from God and we should also accept the evil things. We don't have to like them and we don't have to approve them but we do accept them as much as He permits them.

One thing to bear in mind is that while Job accepted the evil, he never, ever, ever gave up. In the end he was vindicated. Perhaps we too need to be reminded to never give up when faced with evils.

No comments:

Post a Comment