Saturday, February 19, 2011

Who do you say that I am?

Who indeed? There is a story about a Christian who is imprisoned and scheduled to die in Afghanistan. He's been tortured, beaten, whipped, sexually assaulted all for believing in Christ and refusing to renounce Christ as his Savior. Said Mussa has a family, a wife and six children. He refuses to renounce Christ as his Lord and Savior even if that means his wife will soon be a widow.

I sometimes wonder if there are any Christians left in America. When I go out for a meal I have yet to see anyone pray. What does that say about us, especially next to someone like Said Mussa? Forget about praying before the meal, let's talk the sign of peace in mass. It's  become a motion everyone goes through, but there is no recognition that it's another person to whom one extends peace. Hands get shaken without even looking at the person, so is it any wonder that no one recognizes Christ in the Eucharist? If we can't recognize each other as human, how will we recognize Christ?

Sometimes I just want to grab people and shake them. Most often the one I want to shake is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment